Sunday, June 26, 2011

Punched Out Borders - 4th Great Grandfather Page

I got the ancestry / scrapbooking bug yesterday.  I have been researching my family tree for years and I have lots of information all in a drawer and in my computer. 

I sent away for records from the Department of Defense for my 4th great grandfathers service in 1865.  They sent me back a great package of information including a picture (not great but a picture nonetheless).  The package also included his marriage & death certificates, discharge paperwork as well as his correspondence with the Department of Defense in regards to his pension.

There was so much information that I had to organize it by date so I could figure out the story.  I have been itching to do this page for a long time but I knew if was going to be time consuming.  Once I got organized it wasn't so bad.  The journaling block on the page at the top is the story of who Otis Hemenway was based on the information I have in my family tree software which prints out a nice genealogy report that I adjusted in Word.  I have quite a bit of information and documentation for him, which trust me is not the case with most of my other family members.

Here is my finished page for my 4th great grandfather on my mother's side...Otis Hemenway.




So onto the page details:

I used the new stampbooking CD from the TJ newslettter.  This is such an awesome CD and has so many wonderful and inspirational tutorials.  I used the punched borders technique.

I scanned the photo and printed it at Walgreens as a black and white.  I used vintage photo distress ink on it so it would look more like my layout.  I scanned and printed his marriage & death certificates and discharge records on my printer.  I used antique linen, vintage photo and walnut stain distress inks to make them look, well, vintage. 

I can't wait to add this page to the family tree book that I made for my mother that keeps growing and evolving.

Thanks for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment